It has been revealed that a country road in Somerset is the best road to drive on in the UK.
The long and winding B3135 from Cheddar to Ashwick, which cuts through Mendip Hills, was named by researchers as the most pleasant road to “cruise along”.
Coming in second place was a 70-mile road from Forres to Alford through the Cairngorms National Park in Scotland, and the A701 from Moffat towards Edinburgh coming in third place.
The research was conducted by Volkswagon in collaboration with the navigation app Waze.
The key criteria used to judge roads included scenery, how close drivers were to points of interest, and which routes offered optimal driving conditions. They also looked at how many “engaging” corners would be encountered, traffic flows and incident reports.
The Top 10 roads to drive along:
1. B3135 - Cheddar to Ashwick, Somerset
2. A940-A939-A944-A97 - Forres to Alford, Scotland
3. A701 - Moffat towards Edinburgh in Dumfries and Galloway and the Scottish Borders, Scotland
4. A4069 - Black Mountain Road, Brecon Beacons, Powys, Wales
5. A82 – Glencoe, Scottish Highlands
6. A308, B3021, B3026 - Old Windsor – Dorney, Buckinghamshire
7. B4089-Pelham Lane- Wood Lane - Alcester to Wilmcote, Warwickshire
8. A426-A423-A425-B445-A4225 - Draycote Water to Warwick, Warwickshire
9. Hardknott Pass - Lake District, Cumbria
10. A675 - Bolton to Blackburn, Lancashire